Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Advanced International School: November 3, 2011

~ The Mission of Jesus Christ: Cultural change ~

Jesus spent much of his time in the flesh messing with "normal." ....'you have heard it said'....'you who are without sin'....'nothing outside a man can make him unclean'... Revealing God's perspective necessitates change.

If people change, then ultimately cultures change.

A common resistance to EMI training around the world sounds something like this: "That is a western concept. It is not part of our culture." A fair challenge. After all, the USA and our culture is barely 500 years old. That makes us developmentally younger than a teenager compared to cultures that have thousands of generations of recorded history and wisdom that comes from experience. How can we, then, presume to teach?

I've asked God how to address this.
I found myself in the 7th book of Mark. Jesus is responding to Pharisees who challenge him for the disciples lack of ritual cleanliness before eating. Jesus is not pleased. In summary he says, "Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down."

Every culture is steeped in tradition.
Every culture has need of God's truth and grace.
Truth and grace that is eternal in perspective ultimately brings healing.
Healing fosters transformation.
Transformation results in a new normal.



INVISIBLE LIES
Every person is subject to those places in our hearts and spirits that have been in bondage to a lie. Most of these lies are invisible to us. The enemy of our souls camouflages lies. His intent is to kill and destroy. Jesus tells us that some of those lies are imbedded in our cultural "norms."



ONLY GOD CAN
Ultimately, I have learned to address our international guests with great respect and simply say, "Hear what God has given us to deliver to you. It is between you and God to discern what he is confronting in your culture. Only He has the power to heal and transform a person--a family -- a village -- a city -- a nation."
Every session of our International School we see men and women who come at great sacrifice to be part of our training. It's humbling to stand before men and women who live a more radical degree of faith than Americans. Some live with the danger of being exposed as a Christian. Others embrace more day to day challenges just to be able to deliver God's truth into scenes of pain and despair.
We are so privileged to know them and learn from them while they are in our midst.
I invite you meet them. Pray for them.
  
~ Testimonials ~

“The Lord helped me to sharpen my vision for ministry to train others to have a more intimate relationship with Christ in ________. I find my passion & desire and know how to land myself for future ministry.” Esther ___________ (ASIA)

“EMI’s advanced training took me beyond the fundamental skills, helping me see how to apply these principles to family situations and group leadership. God unearthed family dynamics I had not focused on before and showed me how He wants me to deal with them. Janet Plummer (USA/JAMAICA)

“I’m coming out of a difficult year….I feel like a fish that finally hit the river. ….I feel embraced, affirmed, energized.” Anne Alexander (TAIWAN)

“It was God-centered, well organized training…I learned from participants and their stories. The Lord clarified my vision for ministry; I am more confident—I am more than a conqueror! “ Tuyata Tserev (MONGOLIA)

“We can experience God from many different cultural perspectives and hear what He is doing in other places. I am now a different person; I hope a better discipler.”
Ruben Calzado (CUBA/USA)

“People are learning in a very free and safe environment. Excellent fellowship every day. As a leader in a church your training helps me significantly in empowering people to identify the will of God for them.” Yee Hwa Soon (MALAYSIA/USA)

“I realize the Lord wants me to break out of the walls I’ve built around me to really enjoy being the real me. The enemy tries to keep us earth-bound when we should fly.”
Christabel Seow (MALAYSIA/USA)

“I have seen possibilities for my life, family and ministry is coming into reality.”
Christian Cole (SIERRA LEONE)

“I was weak on vision and disciple-making; now I can move with a lot of clarity and strength. I came with great discouragement, but God through EMI helps me become revived.”
Vijayan Chinnappan (INDIA)

“I was surrounded by people who are leaders & strive after God and prayer warriors. God is healing me; I can use the skills and insights…to help many believers who struggle internally…”
Nok Prukpitikul (THAILAND/USA)

“God answered my prayer for how to help the needs of peoples. I can encourage the church and leaders in the church to serve Him better.” Tu Tipvarakankoon (THAILAND)
“Wherever I go, I’ll be a more confident person in the Lord knowing who I am. This will have a positive influence on pople no matter what kind of ministry setting I’m in.”
Esther Lee (S KOREA/USA)


No comments: